• Hartelijk welkom op het forum van Megekko!
    Megekko is dé webshop waar je alles voor jouw computer vindt. Of je nu op zoek bent naar een nieuwe laptop, een upgrade van je videokaart of een printer, in onze webshop vind je het allemaal. Je bent nu op het forum van Megekko. Bezoek onze webshop:
    Webshop
    Informatie over inloggen en registratie
    Om gebruik te maken van het forum gebruik je je Megekko webshop account.
    Als je nog geen webshop account hebt kun je deze hier aanmaken.

RTX 4080 build case recommendation

MikeZero

Nieuw forumlid
Hello,

I would like to ask for advice from experienced builders here regarding my build to choose a good case with airflow and also if my build works well :

- MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI motherboard

- Corsair Vengeance RGB CMH48GX5M2B7200C36 48 GB 2 x 24 GB DDR5 7200 MHz

- AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D Processor

- MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16G SUPRIM X Videokaart

-Samsung 990 PRO 1TB Heatsink (Gamers Pack) M.2 SSD
-Samsung 990 PRO 2TB Heatsink M.2 SSD

-Corsair RM1000x Shift 1000W PSU

-Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT waterkoeler

For the case I am thinking about two options ( you could recommend me a different one) :

Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic EVO Black​

OR

MSI MPG GUNGNIR 300R AIRFLOW Black

Thank you in advance

Hey Mike,

Welcome to the forum! Before helping you with the case, I would like to suggest changing some parts due to them not being great options or there being different better value options. I also do not know where you'll be using the pc for, I reckon for gaming due to your X3D cpu choice.

I'd like to start with memory. This is intel xmp memory and really fast, it's very likely it will be very unstable for your build since you're on AM5. I would highly recommend changing to an EXPO kit (32gb, 48gb or 64gb) and preferably 6000mhz CL30 which would be both fast and just more stable in general.

As for your cpu, the 7800X3D is better for gaming compared to the 7900X3D. It may sound like it doesn't make sense, but it is. Also cheaper so if your build is for gaming this would just be the better option.

Your SSDs are fine, but just expensive. You also chose the heatsink variants, but the motherboard you chose comes with SSD heatsinks. I don't see the point for heatsink SSDs, I would recommend the Lexar NM790 instead.

Honestly I wouldn't bother with that shift, you can get a really nice EVGA Platinum PSU for €40 less and it's a very high quality unit. Also just in general, 850W is enough. I'll just add a 1000w psu if you really want it.

This only applies to if you'll be using the pc for gaming, but the 7900XTX is a sweet option as well for the build. It has more vram (24gb) and is cheaper, next to this it even performs slightly better in most games.

In terms of watercooling, you'll just add it because it looks cool. These X3D chips are very power efficient, just in case you didn't know. You would be able to run an aircooler on it easily, for example the €40 Peerless Assasin 120 SE.

As for case, I would not recommend the O11 either way. It's expensive and comes without any fans. The H9 and H6 flow are both options from NZXT. The Montech King 95 PRO is also a very solid option and even comes with 6 included argb fans! Also that MSI case is fine if you really like how it looks.

Updated list with these recommendations: https://www.megekko.nl/wl/NB7QFCGX

Now it has 64gb of amd expo memory, 4tb fast NM790 SSD and the other changes.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Hello Ties,
Thanks for your reply and I would like to discuss this with you as well.

- The motherboard (-MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI motherboard) supports up to 7200 MHZ, I've read mixed reviews that corsair vengeance is ok with both intel XMP and AMD Expo. But I've also read that the Dominator version is for sure compatible with both. If I really want a 7200 MHZ, would it be safer to switch to Dominator ? If that's not that the case then whats the best 7200 MHZ ddr5 ram for this AMD build ?

- Thanks for letting me know about the heatsink trick, does that mean if I install 2 SSD NVME, I wouldn't need heatsink for both units ?

- Nvidia GPU is more of a personal choice honestly, I thought I would choose between 4070 Ti Super or 4080, Some reviews suggest 4070 Ti super is a sweeter spot as better value for money.

- I read many recommendations that in order to be safe and deal with overclocking and power spikes, it is wiser to have 1000 watt if you have 4080 although 850w would be enough.

-Finally, what do you think about the (Corsair iCue 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Black Behuizing), I know it is more expensive but is it worth it ?

Looking forward to your reply again.

Hey
Edit: I also discovered that it is very unlikely that AMD sockets handles 7200 MHZ, in that case, would it be wise to go for 5600/6000 MHZ Corsair Vengeance ?

Hello Ties,
Thanks for your reply and I would like to discuss this with you as well.

- The motherboard (-MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI motherboard) supports up to 7200 MHZ, I've read mixed reviews that corsair vengeance is ok with both intel XMP and AMD Expo. But I've also read that the Dominator version is for sure compatible with both. If I really want a 7200 MHZ, would it be safer to switch to Dominator ? If that's not that the case then whats the best 7200 MHZ ddr5 ram for this AMD build ?

- Thanks for letting me know about the heatsink trick, does that mean if I install 2 SSD NVME, I wouldn't need heatsink for both units ?

- Nvidia GPU is more of a personal choice honestly, I thought I would choose between 4070 Ti Super or 4080, Some reviews suggest 4070 Ti super is a sweeter spot as better value for money.

- I read many recommendations that in order to be safe and deal with overclocking and power spikes, it is wiser to have 1000 watt if you have 4080 although 850w would be enough.

-Finally, what do you think about the (Corsair iCue 5000X RGB Tempered Glass Black Behuizing), I know it is more expensive but is it worth it ?

Looking forward to your reply again.
-You can always check the motherboard page for supported memory modules. In the case of the MSI motherboard, you can find it at: MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI Support.
However, as Ties mentioned, for gaming purposes, I would recommend an EXPO set at 6000MHz / CL30 as well.
Example which is on the compatibility list: https://www.megekko.nl/product/7962...Trident-Z5-Neo-RGB-2x32GB-6000-geheugenmodule

- You won't need heatsinks for either of the NVME SSDs. The MSI motherboard has four slots in total, and all of them come with heatsinks.

-There is a significant performance difference between the RTX 4070 Ti and the RTX 4080 Super. If it's within your budget, the RTX 4080 Super is an excellent choice, especially if you plan to game at a 4K resolution.

-With the X3D CPUs, overclocking won't be possible, and as Ties mentioned, they are very energy-efficient CPUs. Combined with an RTX 4080 Super, a good quality (Gold or better and with 12VHPWR cable) 850W PSU would be sufficient, although you could opt for a 1000W PSU as well. There isn't much price difference between the two, and a 1000W PSU provides potential upgrade headroom for the future aswell.

-The Corsair iCue 5000X RGB case is also a great option. Cases depends on personal taste, so if you like the look of it, it will be more than sufficient to keep all the hardware cool.

Hey
Edit: I also discovered that it is very unlikely that AMD sockets handles 7200 MHZ, in that case, would it be wise to go for 5600/6000 MHZ Corsair Vengeance ?
Hey Mike!

Even if the motherboard would technically support it, I don't see the point of getting 7200MHZ. It's still just highly unstable and the kit was intel xmp either way. Xmp and expo are 2 different overclocking profiles and train memory different. I would highly recommend sticking to 6000mhz CL30 (these are timings, CL36 is slower for example), this is the sweet spot (see the megekko link).

JoestJ answered all of your questions correctly and you would have 100% compatibility if you get the ram kit he recommded.

Yeah heatsinks are on the motherboard, you can't use both so I would indeed just get a normal SSD without.

As JoestJ said, the 5000X is fine. Another great option would be the APNX C1 which has a similar design with also 10 spots for fans just like the 5000X, but also has better cooling.

Have a nice weekend!

Hey !

Thanks for the feedback again and appreciate the technical info that I was not fully aware of.

I hope my final build is fully compatible and stable altogether:

- MSI X670E GAMING PLUS WIFI motherboard

- Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB 2x32GB 6000 geheugenmodule

- AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D Processor

- MSI GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16G SUPRIM X Videokaart

-Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2 SSD

-Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 SSD

-Corsair RM1000x Shift 1000W PSU

-Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT waterkoeler

For the case, I like how the MSI MPG GUNGNIR 300R AIRFLOW Black looks like, but will its size be a limitation (
Maximum grafische kaart lengte 36 cm) for the 4080 super (Lengte 308 mm) and cause problem for the heating? would it be wiser to stick to Corsair iCue 5000X (Maximum grafische kaart lengte 42 cm)

Let me know your final feedback so I could make the purchase !

Thank you very much again and have a nice weekend !

Your case choice will be totally fine.

Still I would recommend getting the 7800X3D if it's a gaming system, it actually performs better in games compared to the 7900X3D and even is cheaper. You still have the 990 pro disks in there, I would recommend getting the Lexar NM790 4tb (more storage, pretty much same speeds and cheaper). I would also recommend getting the Arctic Liquid Freezer III, since you can sync the rgb together with the msi fans from that case.

As for your powersupply as I put in the alternative list before for you, I would recommend getting the "EVGA 1000W SuperNOVA 1000 P3", it's cheaper and also platinum rated. What corsair memory were you even looking at? I would recommend picking the one JoestJ linked from Gskill. There is also the 7900XTX which is 300 euros cheaper, super easy way to save money and still get a good card. That would be a good option as well, consider it.

I'm glad I was able to help :)

Choosing the Corsair iCue 5000X will give you more building room and improved cooling. The setup in the MSI MPG GUNGNIR 300R AIRFLOW Black will be a bit tight, but it's possible.

CPU-wise, if you're primarily going to use it for gaming, the 7800X3D will be the better and cheaper option. If you plan to stream, video edit, and compile, the extra cores of the 7900X3D will benefit you more, although this will cause you to lose a tiny bit of gaming performance compared to the 7800X3D.

Memory-wise, I strongly recommend picking the Corsair Vengeance RGB with EXPO. The 6000MHz / CL30 version is not on the compatibility list but should technically still work. A safer option would still be to go for the G.Skill version.

As for the power supply, if you go for the Corsair iCue 5000X case, the Corsair RM1000x Shift 1000W PSU is a fine choice. If you go with the case from MSI, I would recommend picking a different one (as Ties mentioned, the EVGA 1000W SuperNOVA 1000 P3 is excellent for it).

The cables of the Corsair Shift case are on the side compared to all other power supplies where those cables are on the back side (modulair cables). Primarily, the Corsair cases are suitable for this due to them having more than 3cm of clearance between the backside and the panel.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them :)

Terug
Bovenaan